Samantha Knowles-Pratt, TEP
- Commercial transactions
- Private clients & wealth management
- Financial services law & regulation
- Corporate Governance & restructuring
Samantha has practiced as a commercial attorney for over 20 years.
Having previously served as a legal counsel and manager at the Securities Commission of The Bahamas, Samantha was a member of the task force for the drafting of the Investment Funds Act & Regulations, 2003 and the Investment Funds (SMART Funds) Rules.
She has more than fourteen years of private practice at leading firms and her work has included:
- advising on all aspects of the securities regime of The Bahamas;
- advising promoters, fund managers and directors on structuring and re-structuring of investment (SMART) funds, inclusive of The Bahamas’ Investment Condominium (ICON);
- advising on compliance and other regulatory matters pertaining to banks and trust companies, investment fund administrators and persons carrying on securities business in or from The Bahamas;
- advising on private wealth management structures including foundations, trusts, private trust companies and wills; advising on corporate structuring, inclusive of shareholders agreements and taxation issues;
- advising on immigration and residency matters;
- advising on operating within the telecommunications sector of The Bahamas; and
- advising on doing business in The Bahamas.
She is a member of the funds and securities working groups of the Bahamas Financial Services Board. She is a leader in her area of practice and has assisted with the private sector review of the existing securities laws.
She is a frequent presenter at conferences in her areas of practice and has co-authored articles on foundations and trusts in professional publications such as Trust and Trustees and Trust World. Samantha was featured in Bahamas Handbook 2012 on the use of SMART Funds for wealth management and estate planning solutions.
- Citywealth Magazine, in its May 2014 edition, recognized Samantha as one of the up and coming leaders of The Bahamas’ financial services industry.
- BFSB 2014 Excellence Awards Ceremony, recognized for contribution to the BFSB’s Working Group for the development of the Investment Condominium (ICON) legislation.
- Client Choice Award 2015, recipient for Securitisations & Structured Finance Award for The Bahamas. Client Choice is based a UK-based organization which recognizes partners around the world for excellent client care and the quality of service.
- 1998 Admitted a counsel and attorney of the Supreme Court of The Bahamas
- 1998 Admitted a Barrister of the Inner Temple, for England & Wales
- AA History, College of The Bahamas
- LLB (Hons) Business Law, University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom.
- BVC Diploma, Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom
- Trust and Estate Practioner (TEP)
- Bahamas Bar Association
- Honourable Society of Inner Temple
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Bahamas Association of Compliance Officers