Sofia J Papageorge
- Securities & investment funds
- Financial services law & regulation
- Corporate and Commercial transactions
- Private client wealth & Immigration
- Tax & tax reporting
Sofia has considerable experience in the firm’s corporate and commercial practice areas. Active in related industry associations, she is a member of working groups and committees of the Bahamas Financial Services Board. She was a contributing author to the BFSB’s Guide to the Bahamas Investment Condominium. Sofia has also assisted in private sector reviews of tax and securities legislation.
Since July 2014, Sofia serves as Honorary Consul of the Hellenic Republic to The Bahamas and is fluent in Greek.
- Advising global banking institutions on local banking and securities regulatory issues including representing private banks and registered firms before the Central Bank of The Bahamas and the Securities Commission of The Bahamas.
- Advising multi-jurisdictional companies on the offering of investments and security advice in The Bahamas.
- Advising on immigration and private client matters pertaining to entry into The Bahamas, relocation to and re-domiciliation in The Bahamas leading to annual or permanent residency.
- Advising of regulatory requirements for the establishment of businesses owned by non-Bahamians in The Bahamas including representing clients in negotiations with The Bahamas Government.
- Advising financial institutions and private clients on the application of the Common Reporting Standard (CRS) regime in The Bahamas, including due diligence and reporting obligations.
- Advising on the economic substance regime including important aspects concerning outsourcing and substance requirements for companies.
- Advising on matters relating to the Bahamian tax regimes and regularizing tax affairs with local tax agencies.
- Advising multi-jurisdictional companies on regulatory requirements of the Utilities Regulation and Competition Authority (URCA), including anti-competitive practices.
- Advising international trust institutions and private clients on issues concerning Bahamian domiciled trusts.
- 2011 Admitted a counsel and attorney of the Supreme Court of The Bahamas
- 2010 Admitted a Barrister of Lincoln’s Inn, for England & Wales
York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
LLB (Hons-First Class), University of Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, England
LLM (Corporate & Commercial Law), University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England
- Bahamas Bar Association
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn